Monday, November 16, 2009

Week 7 & 8 Review-


I started this blog a few times but was never really excited about writing about being behind in every life category. Or about an intensive that we all experienced. And today while suffering through thinking about what to post to LPD it hit me my I was having blogging blackouts. I was over blogging.
No not here, but at BGI. I have to write 5-6 blog posts a week and respond to 2-4 times that any given week. 20-30 weekly Channel posts. It is past my blogging bandwidth. But that is not all of it, it is the forced nature of LPD and CRL blogging that bother me. Yes one could say that DLM is forced since we get checked off for it, but I am free to follow my interests in what I write. This freedom is welcome, invigorating and heaps more reflective and creative than what I have to do for my touchy feely classes. This limitation of my education has me tense and frustrated, yes I know we are a distance-based program and that the hope is to create dialogue, but part of me thinks we are missing it. Most Channel posts I read lack the passion and purpose that I find in these blogger posts, there is little critical insight. Are we not also a graduate institute? One can read the metal check that is being placed by the writer. There needs to be more variety in our assignments, there needs to be alternative ways of students expressing and faculty evaluating.  There needs to be rigor in our courses (ok this last one was a dig at LPD and CRL, I will write deeper on this in the coming days).
In the past few days through working on our DLM project I am becoming excited by what some social media can add to that variety. I am curious as to the implications of Google Wave to this concept. How we can bring these emerge technologies in with our emerging sustainability conversation?

5 comments:

  1. Tomas,

    I think you speak for a lot of us. The required and highly circumscribed posts for both CRL and LPD feel particularly irritating this year, and I find myself uncharacteristically rebellious around them. I do think it is the lack of freedom in what is supposed to be a forum for creativity, etc. So ironic. I too find these blogs to be a much more rewarding forum, perhaps because they allow us to simply explore where we really are with a greater degree of honesty. No contrivance. Thanks for articulating this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto... especially if you end up behind somewhere, as I have in LPD and CRL. Trying to catch up, I find myself writing for writing's sake, not because I actually feel compelled to respond to what the author has written. This isn't fair to me or to them.

    I appreciate you raising these issues and not being afraid to start a dialogue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, and very relevant topic. It provoked me to post on it to on my learning journal.

    threegroove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This dialogue can take our learning to the next level. I believe we can and should approach LPD next semester and propose our own learning agenda within our learning circles and use what we started here to help further our education.

    As you said, this is graduate school and self directed learning should be an acceptable part of it, Accounting certainly expected us to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all for your posts, I am with Matt on changing the way that this is done next term, we should vary it for educations sake at least.

    ReplyDelete