Sunday, November 29, 2009

Not surprisingly my learning this last week has floated around the “discussion” in CRL. I thought I would add a few more thoughts on i the questions that have been asked I to me. Specifically around why it was now that this was posted and not sooner.

There are several reasons for this and most come from BGI experiences before this course (similar to the beginnings of the thoughts shared about this course). First of these reasons is response, not a written or verbal response but one of action. It has sadly been the experience of myself that feedback at BGI does not take shape in change in time to effect my experience. I know you can imagine how frustrating this could be. Also when I have questioned experiences in the past I have been asked to "brainstorm" on them, which I have found slightly insulting on a few levels (one being a grad student should already be critically thinking through my comments, I should at least receive that benefit from my instructors). At other times I have been told that they are going to change that in the next version of the curriculum (either the coming year or in two years when the 2.0 BGI version happens). This has been very challenging since we are also at the school to learn about how promote and create change.

My motivation to posting to the class was a result of tiring of the quite criticism with no action. Which I also understand is a result of the lack of response to feedback, vicious circle. The irony is strong to me in a school that promotes change that participants will not and do not speak up. I believe this is because they do not feel empowered to do so, that the time vs change is an equal balance, and that when they weight priorities in their life that change falls low. Again,  how will we effect the outside world if we do not interact within this smaller, more supportive, one? People are faking assignments because it is easier to fake it than to "complain" or comment about how this does not connect to them.  It is much larger than just than just CRL class. Thoughts on this?

4 comments:

  1. I too have found frustrating answers like "we'll change it in curriculum 2.0", i.e starting in 2011. I will give you some hope that I have been working on trying to get some changes sooner in a variety of classes that I've had some experience with this quarter, as well as possibly LPD in the next two quarters. What I've discovered is though there is not much flexibility in the course outline as that is what has been accredited, within each course there can be some flexibility. The challenge is figuring out where to push the lever for the best leverage.

    I'm also trying to have influence on the Spring Evening MBA, some certificate programs this summer, and in the 2010 year for C8 and C9, but those have less impact on you directly.

    Let me know what the specific changes you've been thinking about, it would be useful in my discussions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christopher, thank you for engaging in this and demonstrating the action rather than the theory that seems so prevalent in graduate education. I would be more than happy to share with you some of my thoughts and writings. Look for a few of these coming to your inbox in the coming days. I am also trying to work my schedule so I can get to Bainbridge early to take you up on that pre-intensive meeting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do I sense the need for a table topic? I know the people who make the schedule; I can get you a good time slot!

    ReplyDelete